Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I am the Dad

Yes, the Dad I am. It’s been a great summer, probably the best I’ve had since I was a kid.

Like most Dads, I do all the driving. I also can make a great asado. In fact tonight we are going to have a going away asado because it’s our last night in Patagonia. I will grill an entire goat on a cross and it will be extremely tasty. Many will come to eat it. There will be mucho vino and merriment.

This Dad is natural born Gaucho.

This Dad also gets to go fishing from time to time. Probably about sixty times this summer. Not bad, but my boss is sick of my excuses and I hope he doesn’t read this because then he’d fire me or something.

As you may have noticed, I have three boys. I’ve taught them to fish and they have taught me to not teach them so hard. One of them is learning to tie flies (or fly ties as his Mom says). Henry is getting pretty good at it. Way better than me. Callum is a great caster and releaser of trout. Own is a relentless fisherman who already knows you get about a thousand “last cast”s.

This Dad also has a girlfriend. Her name is Georgie and she ignores me unless I bring her presents. Or take her for a horseback ride on Casi Morto Brownie.

This Dad also got to watch his cool wife make a great home this summer. All this stuff we bought from all over the place in Buenos Aires and here eventually showed up and Elizabeth turned our little old puny ranch into the best place I’ve ever lived.

So the half thought out plan has worked pretty well. I have a cool family, a dream house,. We are on a great adventure and I am a lucky dog.

1 comment:

Expat Women said...

Hi O'Connell Family.

Ms/Mrs O'Connell, I'm in search of expat women to volunteer to help expat women moving to their location.

If you could help, or know someone else who could, I'd truly appreciate it.

Please visit: www.ExpatWomen.com

Thanks in advance!

Andrea