Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Epic Adventure: Callum's Version

The Horse Riding Weekend
By Cal O’Connell

Our time in Patagonia is all most over and we wanted to do something special together and with our horses. Mom, Dad, Henry, Owen and I went on a horse riding trip into the mountains. We went camping for two nights. We left Georgie, Jenny and Gammy at the house.

We left our house on Friday. The weather was very good but it had been cold. We went to the National Lanin Park by a van. When we got to the gate the horses were waiting there for us. At the start we had two guides, Marcos and Milton riding with us The horses got there by a truck on the day before. My horse is called Pesquita Flora May (I call her May). We have three other horses. Medianoche (Henry’s horse), Anakina (Owen’s horse) and Casi Muerto Brownie (Georgie’s Horse and the pack horse for this trip). We rode the horses for about two hours to Don Miguel’s house where we had a great asado. We had tirra (beef ribs), tortas fritas (fried bread) and salad that I didn’t eat. We found a huge garden full of raspberry bushes. They were the juiciest berries I ever had. After our lunch and a siesta we back on our horse and rode for another two hours until we got to our camping spot. Our spot was by the lake where you could see Lanin. Milton was in charge of the fire and food and setting up the tents. Daddy went fishing , Mommy read and Owen and I tried the water but it was too cold so we got a lesson from Marcos about taking care of our horses, getting on our horse by climbing up their legs, and how to unsaddle. We practiced lassoing , it was really hard. For dinner we had soup and Polenta with tomatoes and canned peaches for dessert. Then we crawled into our tents and went to bed.

In the middle of the night Owen threw up. It was gross. Owen went to my Mom and Dad’s tent and threw up five more times. In the morning we went for a short ride and in the afternoon we went for a long ride to a waterfall. We were going to move to a new campsite. Because Owen was sick we didn’t. During our siesta we found a gecko and it was our pet for the day. We gave him an earwig and he ate it. He didn’t drink the water we gave him. Before dinner, there was a dead tree that we play in and broke branches for the fire. Finally the yellow jackets that lived there, had had enough and stung me twice and Henry once. It hurt a lot. We put mud where the stings were and I had some Advil. Henry wouldn’t let anyone touch him and he can’t swallow medicine so he was in a lot more pain than me. I went to bed without eating my dinner and went to sleep very quickly.

When we woke up on Sunday it was pouring rain and windy. Up in the hills there was snow. We left camp earlier than we were going to, to get back home incase the weather got worse. On our way back to Don Miguel’s, the belt of my saddle got loose and my saddle started to fall and then I fell on the ground. I didn’t get hurt so I got back on my horse. Then my Mommy fell off her horse because she was wearing a red poncho that was flying around and scared the horse. The horse went crazy so she jumped off. Then we finally got to Don Miguel’s house. We played horseshoes and had more tortas fritas. Milton won the game and he had to run up and down a steep hill. Then our van came.

When got home we had dinner. I told Jenny, Gammy and Georgie about our trip and all the good and bad things that happen. It was the most exciting camping trip I have ever been on. We are going to do it again next year!

No comments: